top of page
Image by Zixi Zhou

Teach & Play

        Teach & Play
Not Yet In China Job Form

Sign up using our form and we will connect you with the best jobs in China.

Apply In One Minute Here ➡️

Do You Have A TEFL Certificate?
Profile Picture


- Visa Document Cost

🇺🇸$450 / 🇬🇧£260 

- Flight to China (REIMBURSED) 

🇺🇸$490 / 🇬🇧£400

Thanks for submitting!

Image by Hanson Lu
Anchor Job Overseas


What are the requirements?

In most cases applicants need to have a Bachelors Degree to qualify.

For us to get you a job, you need to be eligible for a China Work Visa. This means you need to have a clean criminal record & have completed a Bachelors Degree or higher (although please note there is a solution for this requirement if you don't have a degree yet!)

However, there are NO SPECIFIC TEACHING QUALIFICATION requirements. As long as you have a Bachelors Degree and a clean criminal record we can get you a job.

Do I need teaching experience?

Image by Road Trip with Raj

No Experience Required!

As long as your are eligible (clean criminal record and a Bachelors degree of any type) then we can get you a job!

With a population of 1.3 BILLION people, there is a strong demand for native English speaking teachers which means we are able to sort you out with a role in no time! From start to finish we can have you landed, legally working in China, in under 6 weeks. Salaries are high, and the cost of living is low. Live like royalty in China! 

World Class Lifestyle & Nightlife

"China is the perfect mix of sophisticated futurism & low cost living..."

You've never been anywhere like China. It is what you imagine Tokyo would be like if everything was 50% cheaper & everyone was drinking redbull.

There is nothing quite like after work drinks when "budget constraints" have been removed from the work vocabulary! 


Frequently Asked Questions

1. How much will I get paid?

Salaries are paid by the school and are usually CNY16,000 - 22,000/month. This equates to USD$2400 - $3400/month. You can earn much more on top of this if you take on a few private tutoring hours or have China experience. (Currency Converter)


2. What is China like?

China is the center of the universe. If you want it, it's here. We guarantee no lifestyle sacrifices - you'll have a ball. Check out TimeOutBeijing or TimeOutShenzhen for inspiration.


3. Are there VISA eligibility requirements?

Yes. For this opportunity, China requires that you:

    i. Have a passport from either USA, Canada,        AUS, NZ, UK, Ireland, SA. AND

    ii. Have a University Bachelors Degree or            above (any degree qualifies) - Note: There is a work around available for this requirement. AND

    iii. Have a clean criminal record

4. What are the jobs like?

Teaching China is a stimulating and fun experience. All your classes are taught in English. Most jobs for foreign teachers in China are English teacher roles. jobs are English teaching jobs.  We have different school types and student level groups available from kindergarten all the way up to high school. Teaching hours are usually 15-25 per week leaving you plenty of time for learning Chinese, making friends in your home away from home and enjoying everything that China has to offer.


5. What's the deal with Accommodation?

You will have an accommodation fund as part of your salary package.  We also have some schools that provide free accommodation although schools do not commonly offer this to teachers without teaching experience.

6. Accommodation cost?

CNY2,000 - 4,000/month. (Currency Converter)

USD$300 - $650/month

Most landlords require 2 months of rent in advance however there are accommodation options where you can pay month-by-month

7. Any language barriers?

Living in China is definitely easier if you speak the language, but most of us can't. It's entirely possible to exist here super comfortably without language skills.  If you want to learn Chinese then there's no better place to learn! With regular part time study you can become fluent in Chinese within 12 months.

8. Can I bring my partner and/or family?

Yes. We can find opportunities for your partner too.  Spouse VISA's are a thing as well.  Most schools will assist with covering education cost for dependents.  Partners and families are made to feel welcome at all our opportunities. 

9. Living costs?

Beers: $0.5 (Stores) $1.5-5 (Bars)

30 min Taxi/Uber: $5-8 (super cheap)

Subway ride: $1-1.5

Western Restaurant Lunch/Dinner: $6-15

Chinese Restaurant Lunch/Dinner:$2-8

Weeks worth of groceries: $20

Mobile Phone Plan: $5-10 / month

10. How long will my contract be for?

Employment contracts with schools in China are generally for between 10-24 months.  Shorter term contracts are not available.  Keep in mind that it's always possible to leave China before the end of your contract if you have to leave for personal reasons or another opportunity elsewhere.

11. Do I need to do quarantine when I arrive in China?

No!  China is now back to pre-covid normality.

12. Do I need to be vaccinated to come?

No.  You do not need a covid vaccination to come to China.   

13. How do I sort a visa?

We provide full support for preparing visa documents, processing your visa.  

14. What is the timeline and costs for coming to China?


Week 1

  • Register Interest with Teach & Play

  • Online Job Interview


Week 2

  • Obtain Formal Job Offer

  • Start Preparing Visa Documents:

    • Police Clearance From Own Country (processing time 1-10 days depending on country)

      • NZ/AUS/USA/IRE/SA/CAN: Free

      • UK: £40

    • TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certificate - NOTE: this certificate is issued INSTANTLY upon purchase with the course work being done at a later date if you choose

      • COST: $150 approx

    • Take a SCAN / PHOTO of your University Degree Certificate


Week 3 - Week 7

  • Visa Document Authentication - We guide you through this process to make sure it is done correctly

    • Cost & Processing Time

      • UK: £225 / 4 Weeks

      • NZ: NZ$250 / 2 Weeks

      • AUS: AU$300 / 3 Weeks

      • IRE: €200 / 4 Weeks

      • USA: $300-450 / 3-4 Weeks

      • CAN: $300 / 3-4 Weeks

      • RSA: R3000 / 6 Weeks


Week 7

  • Apply for Visa at Chinese Embassy / Consulate / Visa Centre

    • Processing time: 4-7 days

    • COST: $150-200 (depending on country of issue)

Week 8

  • Fly to China

    • COST: $400-800 (reimbursed by employer)

NOTE:  The timeline for coming to China can be reduced to 4-5 weeks if needed.

15. What are the total costs for coming to China?

  • US$600 (approx) for Visa Document Preparation & Authentication (this cost is reimbursed by SOME SELECT employers, however this cost must be covered personally by the teacher with most employers in China.

  • US$400-800 for Flights (this cost is reimbursed by all employers)

16. Is China Safe?

Generally speaking, tier 1 cities in China are much safer than most major cities in western countries.  People living in China enjoy a very high level of personal safety and freedom due to good law and order, strong economic growth and cultural norms which keep most of society on the straight and narrow.  Chinese people are extremely friendly towards foreigners so there is no barrier to making local friends (or girlfriends / boyfriends for that matter!).

17. Will I be able to learn Chinese

With regular part time study you can achieve fluency in Chinese within 12 months.  Many employers provide free Chinese lessons and local colleagues will always be happy to help you practice your newly learnt language.

bottom of page